The Centre was established to provide residents of the Niagara region and visitors with an environment which encourages interest in various forms of visual art. To that end, it organizes classes, workshops and exhibitions in a wide range of media.
The Centre is housed in the Niagara Pumphouse, a handsome Victorian brick building built in 1891 on the banks of the Niagara River. It housed pumps and filter tanks supplying water to the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake until 1983. Through community effort, the building was restored and converted to a visual art centre in 1994.
The Niagara Pumphouse Visual Art Centre is a non-profit organization operated by a volunteer Board of Directors. Income from memberships, exhibition sales and class fees does not cover our expenses. Consequently, fund-raising and donations provide an essential part of the money needed. Our many volunteers form a solid core of support. To them the Niagara Pumphouse owes much gratitude.