Built in 1891, the Pumphouse is the Niagara Region's oldest surviving pumping station building. Prior to 1891, the town's domestic water supply came from springs and private wells – some of which were not only unreliable but also unsanitary. The building originally contained a boiler, steam engine and water pumps as well as living quarters for the operating engineer. The settling bed – made of brick matching the Pumphouse – was separate. Early photos show a 75' chimney stack for the boiler and piles of wood for fuel. In 1893 an electric light plant was introduced and the living quarters were re-fitted to accommodate its "engineer", who like the plant engineer, was paid $25 per month. The electric light plant ceased operations pre-1920; the water works ceased in 1983. After the town bought the building for $1, an enthusiastic group of citizens raised funds to restore the Pumphouse for use as an Art Centre in 1994.